Author Topic: Premier Shears Blade Compatibility  (Read 3945 times)

Honey Tree

• View Profile
Premier Shears Blade Compatibility
« on: July 29, 2017, 04:00:51 pm »
My big old Oster shears threw parts everywhere when my daughter was shearing a lamb.  We couldn't find everything that it launched.  I've put money into repairing the head several years ago as well as a tuneup but I think the motor may be worn out.  Even with sharp blades it starts to lug after a few strokes.  The thought of putting money into the heavy beast just sat wrong with me and I thought new one would be money better spent.

Anyway, I had a chance to buy a set of slightly used Premier 4000s for under $300.  After I made the purchase it dawned on me that I had a bunch of Oster combs and cutters that may not fit the new shears requiring a capitol investment in more combs and cutters.  Does anyone know if my Oster blades will fit the Premier?
  • Laura Overton

Bigiron59

• View Profile
Re: Premier Shears Blade Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 07:49:04 am »
YES and NO. Completely different on the CLIPPER head so will need new CLIPPER baldes. The blades for the SHEARING head will fit.
  • Shane Kirschten

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 04:12:26 pm »
Thank you Shane!  It's for the shearing head.  I hope that I'll be happy with the Premier shears.  I've only used the Oster Shearmaster for shearing.  I have a Lister Liberty and a Lister Star for clipping. 
  • Laura Overton

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 09:26:56 am »
The Oster combs and cutters will work on the Premier 4000s. You will be blown away by the difference in the Premiers. I always hated those huge heavy old Osters! I have sheared probably 80-100 head every year with my Premiers for the past 15 or so years and never a single problem with them. You will love them.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 05:56:50 pm »
Thank you Crystal!  I dread shearing because it's so much work and I'm not getting any younger.  Anything to make the task easier is welcome.  Perhaps the tragic accident to my old Oster is a blessing in disguise for me :)
  • Laura Overton

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 05:11:28 pm »
You are right Crystal!  I love the Premiers.  They are lighter and much easier to maneuver.  My arm doesn't ache after shearing a ewe.  Its kind of like the difference between my old Kirby vacuum and my Shark.  I never use the Kirby anymore because the Shark is so light and does an excellent job!   
  • Laura Overton

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 08:02:13 pm »
LOL, kind of like the difference between driving a tractor and a sports car through rush hour traffic!
  • Crystal Emsoff

sheepherder007

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 06:55:13 am »
But nothing gets in the tractors way LOL
  • Rex Cole

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 06:34:03 pm »
LOL! Well, that may be true, Rex, but the sport car has managed to shear through everything I put in front of it just fine, including some pretty darn dirty, sticky wool.
  • Crystal Emsoff