Author Topic: Looking to buy a Dorset ram  (Read 3476 times)

Betania

• View Profile
Looking to buy a Dorset ram
« on: July 21, 2015, 10:42:54 am »
I am looking to buy a Dorset ram, and I can't spend much more than $500 dollars. It would need to be either within reasonable driving distance (within a couple hours of Zanesville or Cambridge, OH) or else be able to get a ride.
  • Bethany Winsley

sheepdog76

• View Profile
    • Brasfield Club Lambs and Dorsets
Re: Looking to buy a Dorset ram
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 07:35:07 am »
Unfortunately I am probably too far from you, in NC. Look up Dorsets and Day lilies on the club lamb page. Kirsten has some good Dorsets
  • John Brasfield

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 07:45:14 am »
Do just be aware that $500 is not much of a budget for ram of any breed that will throw show quality lambs. If you are just looking for a commercial type dorset, you may be able to one in your budget though. I understand a tight budget. I paid $500 for my first ram and thought I was crazy for spending that much on a sheep. But that was 13 years ago... If you are trying to breed show quality lambs, you might consider leasing a ram or finding a breeder that will let you breed your ewes to their own ram.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

cwining1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 02:15:41 pm »
We are in Tennessee so we might be too far away but I sent you a pm on a few wether type dorset rams we have available
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 02:21:41 pm by cwining1 »
  • Craig Wininger

Betania

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 10:42:18 am »
Ok, thanks everyone! I understand $500 is not much money, but it's all I've got. None of the lambs I've shown are REALLY show quality lambs, but I can show them and have fun, and sell them afterwards.
We bought our ewes from Mrs. Hatfield, and we have borrowed a ram from her the past two years. I really hate to keep asking her to borrow one. :-) We were trying to find a ram from somewhere else, if we could, but if not, we are going to ask her if she has any that are not very closely related to the ewes.
cwining1: You are a little far away, but I sent you a message. If we could figure out transportation a good bit closer, I would be happy to buy one of your rams.
  • Bethany Winsley

Buckeye

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 04:16:57 am »
  • Mike Bowers