Author Topic: Bringing in an outcross  (Read 2359 times)

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
Bringing in an outcross
« on: September 03, 2015, 11:47:57 am »
When is it time to bring in an outcross? How do you pick that outcross? Do you incorporate his genetics into your flock or just use his lambs as terminal lambs?

Using my flock as an example. I have finally got my flock to the point that it's very linebred and consistent. I have been focusing mainly on the Composure line, with some sheep now having five or six shots or more in their pedigree. I've also got a little Leverage and Trademark on both sides as well. I'm wondering if it's time now to bring in an outcross, but I'm nervous about it after working so hard to get the consistency. Should I be looking for something that is completely unrelated? Or just unrelated on one side? Or just stick with what's working? I am figuring if I do decide to bring in an outcross, I will look to the other successful breeders that are using similar genetics to see what's working for them.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Bigiron59

• View Profile
Re: Bringing in an outcross
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 07:45:48 pm »
If you look at Millers and Cabaniss, you can see that they bring in outcrosses on occasion ,both complete unrelated and somewhat related. It would seem that both worked for them. And it seems that they usually use sons of the outcross sire heavily .
At some point ,your sheep need an upgrade, and an outcross is likely the way to do that.
When is that time? Good question.
Copy a breeder or forge your own path? Again topic for debate. 
Most top breeders are forging thier own path and building thier own "kind" ,in my opinion. That is what makes thier sheep "different" and creates value for them.
  • Shane Kirschten

ARLambs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 03:20:44 pm »
As Shane suggested, I think you would bring in a new sire to a a new flare to your flock, but likely utilize a son or sons more heavily than the outcross himself.  We opted to AI a group of our top producing ewes this year to a total outcross, with the hopes of being able to select a ram lamb to utilize in our fairly line bred flock.  Just my thoughts.
  • Cindy Kendrick

PeteM

• Pete Maples
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 12:23:36 pm »
If you want to copy a successful breeder that built an empire on Composure/Leverage/Trademark genetics, I would look at Leo genetics as an outcross.
  • Pete Maples
Raising quality Hampshire and Shropshire clublambs.

ARLambs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 07:06:25 pm »
That was exactly what we have been working on for the past 2yrs, specificly Log Dog, we will see jow it works for us next spring.
  • Cindy Kendrick