Author Topic: Ring womb  (Read 8950 times)

Bigiron59

• View Profile
Re: Ring womb
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 07:13:36 pm »
My thought with your description was abortions as well.
I have only seen ringwomb in WF ewes as Don has described.
 Don and I differ somewhat on our thoughts on gestation protein.  Also I feed ddgs as does Don. With those types of rations, calcium is of utmost importance. That being said , I aim for a 13 to 14 percent total protein ration last 6 to 8 weeks, and idealy would have those ewes in condition score or 3.75 to 4 on a scale of 1 being bonerack and 5 being obese. I want my rations at 2 to one ratio for cal /phos and if that means 50 to 60 lbs per ton of grain,its in there.I force feed all vits and salt as well
 Only thing free choice here is roughage.
I adhere to a rigid vaccination schedule as well, and in your case the LA 200 is sound advice. Repeat every 28 days to all ewes that have not lambed it feed  a week of high level CTC
 Every 4 weeks.
You will likely see more of these for about a week .
  • Shane Kirschten

Bosephus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 07:49:07 pm »
Is there a formula or program for figuring all of the feed % so I know I have it correct
  • Peter Tibbits

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 09:35:30 pm »
My ration isn't that much different from BI, except I like ewe lambs to get a couple % more in the total ration than the old ladies.  We do now feed more aueromycin (sp?) than I used to and we vaccinate for abortion on top of that.  If there is a link it would explain why we don't see it but that said, I think the classic ring womb where lambs full term and mom's not dialating is more common in white face sheep.

Crystal, I remember thinking, OK, I will work at this one until I get her stretched out.  I'd finally get the lamb delivered but in those cases the uterus would soon follow.  It would take a few hours of manipulating mom and the stress on her would be overwhelming.  I suspect I probably got some delivered as it's the bad ones that stick out in my memory. It's probably been 10  years since I've seen this.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 07:06:33 am »
I hope the LA200 works for you. I have dealt with two abortion storm: one probably eight or nine years ago, and a worse one this year. Both times Aureomycin and tetracycline were ineffective in stopping losses. The first one, lab results showed it was a strain of Campylobacter jejuni that was resistant to tetracyclines and sulfa. Nuflor salvaged that lambing season. This year the lab was unable to isolate a cause. Aureomycin had no effect. If the Nuflor worked, it was temporary. A ewe would abort every threw weeks, almost like clockwork. I finally vaccinated every ewe that was still bred for Chlamydia, Vibrio and lepto. Whether it just ran its course or the vaccines were effective, I don't know, but I have had no more problems. Needless to say, it has been a rough year. I hope yours progresses better than mine. If you have any more problems, I would vaccinate.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 08:55:08 am »
http://media.wix.com/ugd/aded98_31bc952b9ce240df90b4887171815e14.xlsx?dn=2013UMESheepRation.xlsx

This year is the ration program I use to balance my rations. If you notice, the very last line in each ration table is the calcium:phosphorus ratio. Also, Don has mentioned numerous times that he believes these wether dams require more protein per pound of body weight than the average sheep due to their heavier muscling. This make sense to me and practical application seems to prove it. For this reason, I use the ration for the next higher weight (my ewes average about 200 lbs, so I use the requirements for 220 lb ewes). Also, my ewes really pour the milk to their lambs, so I use the lactation ration for the next higher number of lambs (ewes with singles get fed at the twin rate and ewes with twins get fed at the triplets rate). Some may thing this is unnecessary, but my ewes are not fat and some are still thinner than I'd like at weaning.
  • Crystal Emsoff

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 08:57:12 am »
http://beefmagazine.com/site-files/beefmagazine.com/files/uploads/2015/02/2015-BEEF-Magazine-Feed-Comp-Tables.pdf

Here is a more comprehensive feed composition table with more current values as well. It certainly doesn't hurt to test your feed, but if that's not an option, or to come up with estimates, this will do the trick.
  • Crystal Emsoff

Bosephus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 02:43:41 pm »
Thanks crystal
  • Peter Tibbits