Author Topic: Blue Tongue  (Read 3069 times)

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
Blue Tongue
« on: June 20, 2015, 09:07:44 pm »
Had my first case of blue tongue this week and last my first ewe. A beautiful two year old. She died in 24 hours. Another one has it but I think banamine, electrolytes, and Benadryl is going to pull her through. Put in new insecticide tags today. Hope it makes a difference. I can't understand why another year has gone by with no vaccine.
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Tongue
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 10:03:14 pm »
Oh no. :( I bought the ear tags but they say they only last "up to" five months. It hit in October last year so I have been putting off tagging. Maybe I just need to do it. So frustrating.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 06:10:48 am »
You should do it. In talking to another breeder who lives about ten miles away. He lost a ewe last week as well. It is definately in this area. Perhaps it will take awhile longer to emerge in yours because of the cooler temps.
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 07:49:31 am »
Someone about 60 miles from us lost a ewe back in like March, lab confirmed it was bluetongue. Had one more get sick but recover. My vet says she talked to a different manufacturer that will produce the vaccine if they have an order for at least 1000 doses. I didn't think that would be a problem to come up with at all. Too late for most of us club lamb breeders as we've already got a bunch of bred ewes, but something I will most definitely be looking into next year. Our vet said the person she talked too at the lab was pretty enthusiastic about it.
  • Crystal Emsoff

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 05:50:07 pm »
I would definitely order 100 doses next year.
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 06:43:50 pm »
I didn't think it would be very difficult to find 10 people to order 100 doses, or even 20 or order 50 doses. If it looks like CA Wool Growers won't be able to get it early next spring, I will absolutely be looking into this other source and will keep everyone updated.
  • Crystal Emsoff

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 10:18:19 pm »
Do you need to give a booster shot for ewes that haven't been vaccinated before?  Any idea about how much the vaccines sell for?
  • Laura Overton

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 07:09:56 am »
The vaccine normally runs about $35/strain and there are three different strains. If you don't know what strain is in your area, you have to use all three as there is no cross protection. That's for 100 doses. However, the vaccine has not been available the past two years. If I remember correctly, this particular company was going to charge like $1500 for 1000 doses. Not sure if that was a single strain or all three.
  • Crystal Emsoff

karinfish

• View Profile
    • Fish Club Lambs
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 11:56:57 am »
Definitely keep me posted as I like to give the vaccine twice per year.  Not to the same ewes of course as they only need it once and you cannot vaccinate pregnant ewes but when I give it in April prior to starting the May breeding that is to everyone that is on that ranch at that time.  However, there may be some ewe lambs that have been leased out, or not yet weaned that go in the keeper pen or I decide to buy something new and so there always seems to be a need to vaccinate once more in August right before the fall breeding. 
  • Karin Fish
Fish Club Lambs