Author Topic: Screaming Bloody Murder  (Read 3014 times)

Brooke.e4700

• View Profile
Screaming Bloody Murder
« on: June 27, 2016, 07:19:52 am »
I have a Southdown ewe that I've had since the end of March. All she does is scream and it's louder than all my other lambs put together. I cant ever take her out because all she does is scream and scream for hours and has screamed a whole entire day from being away from the other sheep. I have worked with her everyday for hours and it doesn't stop. I don't know what else to do.
  • Brooke

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Re: Screaming Bloody Murder
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 10:29:20 am »
Does she bawl when she's with the other sheep or only when she's separated? If it when separated, the obvious answer it to just leave her with the other sheep. If you are trying to show her, then take another lamb and tie it to fence while you work with her. I will admit to culling an overly obnoxious ewe or two. Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions besides that. Or get some ear plugs.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Brooke.e4700

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 01:49:15 pm »
It's ibly wen separated. I have noticed that it doesn't matter who she's with when practicing, as long as there are other sheep. So, I'm hoping showing will be fine. The only time she screams with other seep is at the wash rack but she's very easily offended and doesn't enjoy that. Hoping for better luck next season and wishing for quieter mouths.
  • Brooke

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 11:49:14 pm »
Most sheep are insecure and will baa when separated from other sheep. The best way to overcome or at least minimize this is to be very gentle and calm so she learns to trust you. The less afraid she is and the more she sees you as a friend the calmer she will be. Be very calm and quiet when you work with her. Perhaps feed her a couple handfuls of feed when you take her out of her pen. And go ahead and take out another lamb with her. Tie that other lamb to fence and you can gradually increase the distance from which you work her as she gains confidence. Just remember that her baaing is because of insecurity, which is rooted in fear. Make things pleasant for her to help her over overcome that fear. Getting frustrated and mad will make things worse, not better.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Brooke.e4700

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 04:10:17 am »
Thank you so much!
  • Brooke