Author Topic: Track dogs  (Read 6105 times)

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Track dogs
« on: June 23, 2015, 06:45:06 pm »
Can a dog work as a track dog and a herder? Or does it really require different temperament and/or training? I'd like to get another herder and use it as a track dog as well. Can the two uses be compatible?
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Barton

• View Profile
Re: Track dogs
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 01:50:52 pm »
I have not been able to train one to do both. My herders would just look at me when I put them in the track, like what do you want me to do, their caught.  I had one herder that would run the sheep around the track once and stop and laydown behind them.  My track dog is very hyper and doesn't know as many commands, but he gets the job done and loves to run.
  • Emily Barton

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 06:50:07 am »
Thanks Barton. Good to know. I'd sure like to only have one dog, but I wasn't sure if the two roles were really compatible since the job/instinct of a herder is to go around and bring the sheep to you, not just to make them run.
  • Crystal Emsoff

Evaluator

• View Profile
    • WAM Club Lambs
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 11:14:32 am »
The best track dog we have ever had was also the best herding dog we have ever had. She had more speed to her than most good border collies, however she had a good down and seemed to totally get the difference between the track and the field. We bought a full sibling 3 years later and she was too fast and agressive for both. I raised both of them from pups. The most recent dog we tried was bought out of a sale and already trained...he stood in the track and barked....just did not get the process at all.
  • Patricia Wonnell

Trutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 07:56:38 pm »
I have two here now that do both. One gets used about 50/50 the other is used more on the track than as a herder but can do both. The second is actually a son of the first. Lol. I think it is very feasible. Although I have trained a few that were good for nothing but the track. They had no herd to them at all, just wanted to chase.

Here is a video of the one that gets used close to 50/50 at least during show season

http://youtu.be/iqbZLKOS1hA
  • Trey Rutherford

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 07:41:36 am »
Thruthford, I found that video really interesting. Is the dog a Kelpie? I've only ever seen border collies work and that was the breed I am most interested. Do the kelpies seem to make the transition easier between the two roles do you think?
  • Crystal Emsoff

Trutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 07:30:33 pm »
Yes she is a a kelpie. I think it is more of a individual dog's temperament as far as being used for dual purposes. I do think kelpies take the heat here in Texas better at least. I have had both and I prefer kelpies but that is just my preference. She bites on command on the track, slows down, speeds up, changes direction, etc. and can still can go gather goats with just me telling her minimal commands. I have found once they figure out what I want the less I talk the better we both do. Lol   
  • Trey Rutherford

sheepherder007

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 08:02:09 am »
It is more difficult to teach one to do both, but is very possible.  My oldest dog could do both but it took me two years to get him to that point.  I currently just train for one or the other as much less time is involved.  I will also state that I have not seen a lot of dogs that were good at both, usually better at one than the other.  I have a good friend Phillip Butler butlerswesterncattledogs.com that has a dog that works cattle, sheep, goats and runs sheep and goats.  It is usually better to have a different dog IMO
  • Rex Cole