Author Topic: lamb sausage  (Read 5154 times)

Califmom

• View Profile
lamb sausage
« on: September 16, 2016, 04:24:25 pm »
I have had people tell me that lamb sausage is good. We just harvested a lamb this morning and the butcher makes pork sausage but hasn't made lamb. I am curious to try it, any reason not to have them make some, I mean as far as seasonings go would be the same as for pork. They offer a hot or mild. I also did a little searching online and found a few lamb sausage recipes that involve taking ground lamb and mixing in some seasonings, let it sit awhile, and make patties. Just looking for a few ideas for using some ground lamb we have.
  • KAREN JOST
I enjoy raising my Southdowns and just added a new Willwerth x Forsee ram I call Justin.

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Re: lamb sausage
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 10:41:52 pm »
We have cull ewes processed into sausage. It is wonderful. OG recommended to us with the ewes to have all the fat removes or it would taste like a wet ewe smells.  :P So we do that and have some beef fat added. This probably would not be necessary with a lamb.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Bosephus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 08:05:10 pm »
We make it for people all the time out of lamb is very good but agree with og cull ewes have to be trimmed to just lean meat then tastes pretty good
  • Peter Tibbits

Califmom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 10:10:34 am »
Taste like a wet ewe smells LOL! Thanks for the laugh ;D
I am going to have them make some then, like you said with a lamb the flavor of the fat shouldn't be a problem, he was a nearly 7 month old ram lamb that didn't grow out like I'd hope he would.
  • KAREN JOST
I enjoy raising my Southdowns and just added a new Willwerth x Forsee ram I call Justin.

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 02:09:35 pm »
Have you eaten ram lamb before? I know some say it is fine but we butchered one about that age last year and it was bad. Smelled really strong with a musky, gamy taste. You might consider removing all the fat from him too.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 04:00:38 pm by EmsoffLambs »
  • Crystal Emsoff

Califmom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 03:10:24 pm »
Oh shoot really, I sure hope not. I have only read it would be ok that young. I guess we will find out.
  • KAREN JOST

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 04:02:20 pm »
Everyone said it would be fine but we can tell it's the ram as soon as we take it out of the freezer. You can smell it when it is defrosting and cooking. :o Hopefully yours will be fine!
  • Crystal Emsoff

Califmom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 09:12:17 am »
I am relieved to report the lamb was fine. Finally tried some for New Year's eve dinner shish ka bob. Was delicious! ;D
  • KAREN JOST

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 09:22:37 am »
Glad to hear!
  • Crystal Emsoff

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 04:53:25 pm »
I will be making some. I made some 100 percent summer sausage a couple weeks ago. It was ridiculous and disappeared faster than the beef. Was a hair lamb. Had chops,legs, lamb stew out of a shoulder, season just like beef.
I am tempted to eat a ram lambs.
I have eaten same really good 'mature " sheep.
And some really gamey young lambs
I think stress has a lot to do with it.
  • Shane Kirschten

Califmom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 09:54:51 am »
We had in the past few years kept one of the kids show lambs for the freezer. They were good, and would be anywhere from 7 to close to 11 months old. But the kids are grown and last year and this year the lambs we butchered got to laze around, no show feed, supplements, no forced exercise. I fed them alfalfa hay, a feed called sheep and goat DQ I get from TSC mixed with cob, then all cob the last couple of weeks. We really noticed a difference in the meat, and we thought what we ate before was good, so to notice a difference and prefer the lamb that wasn't treated as a show lamb was interesting.
  • KAREN JOST

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 10:29:32 am »
I have not eaten a show lamb but I have wondered how all the exercise in particular would affect the meat quality.
  • Crystal Emsoff

sheepherder007

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 01:05:33 pm »
Been eating them for years.  Just do not eat a callipyge.  We do put back on feed for 30 days after show though.
  • Rex Cole

Califmom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 01:39:39 pm »
We did the same with show lambs on the advice from friends of ours. Bring them home then feed them alfalfa and cob and just let them chill until ready to harvest.
  • KAREN JOST