Author Topic: Hoof Capsule  (Read 2692 times)

Lambie

• View Profile
Hoof Capsule
« on: October 24, 2016, 08:07:32 am »
Good Morning,
One of our show ewes tore off one of her hoof capsule's this morning. :( Talked to the vet and was told to give her three rounds of Nuflor, clean once with Iodine and keep wrapped, changing bandage every other day. Have you guys had any experience with this and did the hoof grow back well? What type of treatment plan did you use? Stinks this happened 2 weeks before NAILE, ugh...
  • Jennifer Fleener

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Re: Hoof Capsule
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 09:11:56 am »
Ouch!!! Never had that occur but I assume it is just like a finger nail. Hurt like a dickens but will grow back. I know in cattle they will glue a block under the good toe to raise it up and keep the weight off the injured toe. Might be something to consider? I'm sure NAILE is out. It will take months to grow back.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 12:02:45 pm »
How is this ewe doing?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 09:46:32 pm by Don Drewry »
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Lambie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 07:35:28 am »
She is doing okay, still will use the foot very minimally. We had the vet out for a check yesterday and he said to keep wrapping it. There is one spot at the frond of the toe that is still a little meaty, but the rest of the toe has a nice scab. It will take 6 months or more for it to heal completely and for her to regain a hoof. She is also still on antibiotics (Nuflor, to combat any infection due to that meaty spot being close to the bone in the foot) It is going to be a long rode for her, poor thing, but we hope to have a positive outcome. Thanks for checking in!
  • Jennifer Fleener