Author Topic: feeding ewes during gestation  (Read 5936 times)

Bigiron59

• View Profile
Re: feeding ewes during gestation
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 07:23:38 am »
They are likely "extra cautious' . While the language may be there, the electronic version of the VFD that all vets here, and the ONLY document that feed mills here will accept, does not allow them to make a higher dosage. I expect other areas are different. I live in a county ,with livestock production in the Billions. All of the parties here,have to much at risk, to worry about a "minor species" topic.  I could likely find an independent mill ,to do mix "off label" . But most sheep producers ,have had disastrous results from those types.
My feed vendor, and 4 others in my area ,have dedicated mill,feed trucks ,ECT . These other mills do not have separate  mills or trucks. Having had one of those wrecks ,with pig feed and copper in my sheep . I WILL NEVER use a feed feed vendor ,that uses common equipment, for pig and sheep feed. The feed vendor ,I work with, services 80 percent of the sheep producers in 6 Iowa counties and at least 2 Minnesota counties. The Minnesota counties ,feed mills ,no longer make ANY sheep feed.
That would be my concern ,as was concern of the meeting presenters. As more and more feed mills, work with more and more red tape, the easiest thing to do, is quit making "minor species' feed. And many have. One large co-op ,now makes all calf,horse,sheep and goat feed. All bags, and no special order.
So you can get a starter, a grower and a finisher , and sheep balancer from most of these feed mills, that do not make any
  I would imagine ,this even ,is more than many have.
  • Shane Kirschten

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: feeding ewes during gestation
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 10:17:40 am »
From the first day I had the revised rule explained to me I have been of the opinion that the weak chain in this potential loop hole for sheep is the part of the feed mill in the process.  Find one that is willing you should be fine but that might be a lot easier said than done.  My vets have indicated they are willing to write a VFD but that alone doesn't get you the product in your grainery.  I do have a mill willing to custom mix sheep feed per my formulation but as they should if I want a product requiring vet approval they want a script, but we haven't crossed the VFD threshold for sheep yet.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.