Author Topic: Lamb always sick  (Read 2013 times)

Lambcrazy12270

• View Profile
Lamb always sick
« on: June 26, 2015, 05:53:57 pm »
I am extremely new to lambs and shows. I have two ewes, one had twins, and then I bought a ewe lamb 5/31/15. Until the day I bought the ewe lamb, I've been letting the other 4 stay out and graze and still give then their grain twice a day. Well when I bought the lamb, the breeder said to put all the lambs in a pen so they grow better. Excatly one week later one lamb got the runs. I have dewormed regularly using both ivemectin and cydectin. The next day all he wanted to do was lay down and he looked pretty sad. I gave him 3 days of penicillin. He did great for 2 days. Then the same thing happened. I repeated the process with a drench and penicillin, but this time i also gave him scour-check for 3 days twice a day. Again did absolutely great for two days.  Then, guess what...here we go again. I then took a fecal sample to the vet and he gave me another dewormer. I don't have it in front of me. It starts with a L. This was Tuesday. Well when I came home Tuesday night his lip was scabby. So great, another thing. I put iodine on it for two day to help it dry some, Wednesday and Thursday. I also gave him some pedialite because after I gave him the dewormer he

didn't want to eat or drink much. Thursday night and this morning  he's doing great. I came home tonight and his eyes are swollen shut. I'm assuming pink eye.

Why in the world is one getting sick all of the time and everyone is fine??? I'm so confused now, and not real sure what to do. I'm getting stuff for pink eye now. Should I treat all of them?

Any advise?
  • Guenavere mccormick

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
Re: Lamb always sick
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 07:13:07 pm »
My guess would be that the scours and on/off feed was acidosis caused by being pulled off pasture and put on grain too fast. Grain must always be introduced and increased slowly, by no more than 1/4 lb increase per day. It's also possible that he had/has coccidiosis. If he scours again, I would treat for that.

The scabby mouth, if it's sore mouth, is just one of those things that happens. Most likely it will spread to all the others too. Wear gloves when handling them as humans can get it too.

The swollen shut eyes is NOT typical of pinkeye. With pinkeye, they will get runny, maybe a little crusty and eventually cloudy. A drop of penicillin in each eye for a couple days will clear it up if it is pinkeye.

Sounds like the little guy just doesn't have the strongest immune system. Hopefully you can get him on track. I would feed him plenty of hay while he's getting straightened out.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California