Author Topic: Here's a question for you with out there E,Tes ewes ?  (Read 2284 times)

shadowran

• View Profile
Here's a question for you with out there E,Tes ewes ?
« on: January 06, 2017, 03:42:51 pm »
what I mean is there a company that dos it? I know they do a lot of it in cattle but sheep?
  • James Clayton
Proverbs 3:6
raising good lambs for great kids for grand projects

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
Re: Here's a question for you with out there E,Tes ewes ?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 06:32:02 pm »
Yes, there are companies that do it. When I looked into it, I was told that it runs about $1500 for a flush and you need around 7-8 donors per flush if I remember correctly.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Bigiron59

• View Profile
Re: Here's a question for you with out there E,Tes ewes ?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 08:13:34 am »
Most of the  firm's ,that do LAI , also use ET.
Pricing is kinda all over . 4 to 5 recip ewes per donor is the norm.   
 With drugs , about 5 to 550, per flush. 120 per recip to transfer embryos.
 Plus LAI and Semen on donor.
Have seen some good results and some poor results.
Here last fall I got 2 degraded embryos out of one ewe with neither  surviving transfer.
Second ewe, got 8 top grade embryos, with 6 sticking.
Those lambs are due next week.
 You here of some 20 embryo flushes. But a lot more 4 to 8.
So with AI success of 60 percent, ,flushing  5 average, with  50 percent of those surviving, these become fairly expensive lambs. And like LAI, I have seen a lot of very "average" lambs born.

2 facilities do this within 25 miles of me. And another about 150.   I am perhaps looking at doing 2 t 4  a year.
I have mine done at Iowa State University Vet teaching hospital. One of the best Embryologist ,in the States grade embryos , and one of the best reproductive vets, that specializes in small ruminates ,teaches there. He is from India , and has extensive work .
 I may also have work done At Transova. Thier main facility is 25 miles away, and I used to work for a joint venture  of thiers. Dr. Zane Grey, went to college with my daughter. He does excellent work, and has a high degree of success.
They are at the high end of price point, but having that work done 25 miles from home helps.
Iowa state will come right to the yard, with Mobil lab as well.
One producer in my area, had them come up twice to AI ewes with frozen.
I think he has about 70 percent stuck ,on frozen. They had collected and processed semen on his rams.
I have had one collected there, and stored as well.
Glen Erickson , travels and does this, as well as several other firms.

Donors and recipient ewe managment is crucial for success.
I believe 2 firms ,have a program, where you send your ewe at least 60 days before. She is set up, bred and flushed, Embryos ,if any, are transfer, and you buy your  ultrasound bred recipient ewes at 60 days. One may have a program., Where they keep and lamb, and you buy lambs at weaning.
They do this with cattle. And that premium service , is priced accordingly.
 I would expect those lambs to be well into the 4 figure range.
So ,if you have a few extra thousand ,burning a hole in your wallet, lots of options.
  • Shane Kirschten