Author Topic: Ewe weak back end  (Read 3072 times)

MizLiz

• View Profile
    • Bohan Montadales & Club Lambs
Ewe weak back end
« on: January 13, 2017, 02:18:01 pm »
I have a 4 year old ewe, previously healthy as shores up until yesterday who is weak on her back end. I thought she had gotten stuck in the mud yesterday . I had gotten her up and she walked around a little weak for a minute but then was fine. I have her but B and LA200. Moved her to the lambing pasture to keep a better eye on her and she I had to get her up again today, but once up she was fine. Eating COB and Alfalfs. She isn't due until march. I wanted to give her boSe but it says not to give in preg ewes. Could this be early toxemia? I'm on my at to get propylene glycol and dyne. No cough. Thanks.
  • Liz Bohan
Breeder of Montadales and Club Lambs

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ewe weak back end
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 04:31:42 pm »
You can test for Ketones with strips you can buy at the drug store.  They are cheap, you need to catch some pee and it will tell you if she at ketosis.  At this stage, I would doubt it but you can check.  Ewes with this also have acetone breath.

It could also be a damaged nerve, or issue with a disc, or a variety of other issues including a slight injury
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 04:38:07 pm »
It's pretty unlikely that she has toxemia this early. Unfortunately there are a variety of potential causes and they can be tough to diagnose. Other possibilities are white muscle disease, toxic plants, hypocalcaemia, listeriosis, polio, tetany, injury... I would consider giving her a single dose of BoSe and if she doesn't improve, have her seen by a vet.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 08:55:49 am »
Any update on the ewe? How is she doing?
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

MizLiz

• View Profile
    • Bohan Montadales & Club Lambs
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 11:57:46 am »
She's fine. I gave her some banamine x 2 days and some nutridrench for 3 days. I think she was just having a hard time hauling her fat butt up. She's just starting to bag up.
  • Liz Bohan
Breeder of Montadales and Club Lambs