Author Topic: Argh 4 day old twins have scours  (Read 2345 times)

shadowran

• View Profile
Argh 4 day old twins have scours
« on: February 05, 2017, 03:35:07 pm »
I started treating with spectra halt the only thing I could get on short notice, but I never seen it on lambs this young and like straight water. anyone else seen it on this young of lambs? mama is a real good milker
  • James Clayton
Proverbs 3:6
raising good lambs for great kids for grand projects

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
Re: Argh 4 day old twins have scours
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 09:48:50 pm »
I would guess e coli and treat. Scour Halt has been most effective for us.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 02:18:15 am »
A few years ago I had it happen on a set of twins they day after they were pulled by the vet.  I posted on the old forum about what happened so you might remember the story.  The ram collapsed first.  When I picked him up he just poured out watery diarrhea, something that he hadn't shown signs of prior to his collapse.  I ran him into the vet and she treated him with several medications.  I returned home with him about an hour later and the ewe lamb collapsed.  Back to the vet we went.  The ram lamb died about two hours after he collapsed.  The ewe lamb didn't pick up her head for almost five days.  I kept her on a warming mat, tubed her with colostrum/replacer replacer and alternated with electrolytes.  I pumped her with everything I had, Nuflor, SpectoGard (oral), LA200, Lactated Ringers sub q,  and I think something else.  Everytime I looked in on her I figured she'd be dead.  Everything I gave orally had to be tubed because she wasn't swallowing or alert.  On the 5th day she let out a little baa when she heard me coming.  What a great feeling! 

Good luck on your baby!
  • Laura Overton

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 07:29:32 am »
Spectam scout halt and electrolytes. The lambs need the patasium and extra fluids.. I use lamb and Kid restart. In my lambing kit along with goat and sheep CMPK powder. Both made by tech mix. The company that makes bluelyte.  The restart product has extra vits, minerals, lactic acid , energy  ECT.   Tech mixs , products ,are the best on the market, IMO.
All we used in the animal research company I used to work for. We tried them all. Tech mix products ,were far superior in our trials. These were immune compromised cloned biogenetic calves.  Around 75k per calf. No expense was saved to keep them alive. And scours was always imminent in these.
And yes, I have seen new born calves and lambs ,die from ecoli, before they even scour.
The newborn die from the toxins, the bacteria produce. Which is what causes the scours.
The body is trying to purge the toxins, via the scours.
Do not try to stop the scours with rememdys lot will recommend. You treat with antibiotics,which you did. That knocks the bacerial level down , and with electrolytes. That has more easily digested energy than milk, and  helps replenish and balance the balance of the body.
If these were my ewes, and lamb born from now on, would be given a dose of the spectrum, as soon as born.
Common here.
Used to be a very effective vaccine for this, but the one lab ,making it ,did not have the  experimental use license ,renewed by FDA. And eventually lab was sold . New pharma, has no interest in "minor species" ,so that avenue is out.
I have had great results , with extra label use of a cattle vaēcine.
Good luck , and recovery is gaurded, once affected this bad.

• Shane Kirschten