Author Topic: Dirty Clipper Blades  (Read 4697 times)

KYHampMan

• View Profile
Dirty Clipper Blades
« on: March 02, 2017, 12:55:39 pm »
I'm having difficulty cleaning my clipper blades, dirt, lanolin ect. are piling up and water doesn't seem to do the trick. Any suggestions on products?
  • Ryan Halligan

shadowran

• View Profile
Re: Dirty Clipper Blades
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 05:24:47 pm »
we keep a small amount of water in a bucket with a wire brush when shearing and clean often scrubbing the dirt and lanolin off also oiling the blades often and always after cleaning
  • James Clayton
Proverbs 3:6
raising good lambs for great kids for grand projects

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 06:09:27 am »
If your clipping lambs, I'd suggest you wash the sheep first.  Makes the blades last way longer.  If they have long wool and are dirty I'd consider shearing them first with a shearing machine.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

sheepdog76

• View Profile
    • Brasfield Club Lambs and Dorsets
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 07:07:15 am »
I have had luck with dipping the blades in warm soapy water and an old tooth brush or any type of scrub brush. Told to me years ago by an expert shearer.
  • John Brasfield

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 08:48:07 am »
Exactly what Don said. If you are shearing dirty sheep, you need to be using a shearing machine like this. These are designed to shear long, dirty wool. Combs and cutters have to be sharp though. Once they get dull, they are useless.

Clippers like these are designed to shear clean sheep with shorter wool. As in slick shearing for show. Note the difference in the head and blades. You have to wash the sheep before using them or they won't cut well and the blades will dull quickly.

For cleaning blades, I remove them from the clippers and simply rinse in hot water. An old toothbrush works to get the grime out from between the teeth.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 07:30:08 pm »
I used to use a toothbrush.  Now I prefer using a denture brush.  I get it from the dollar store. They hold up better than a toothbrush.

Agree with Crystal and Don, clippers are for clean wool, shears are for dirty wool.  Using the right ones will reduce frustration.
  • Laura Overton