Author Topic: Hard Tops/Toplines  (Read 3627 times)

CowboysKat

• View Profile
Hard Tops/Toplines
« on: March 21, 2017, 08:34:15 pm »
Hi all,   :) :D

So, I understand that, like most things, hard/muscled toplines come from genetics, and without the proper genetics, all attempts are futile, however, I was wondering if any of you had advice for, when you know your animal has the genetic potential, to pop/define/harden up their handling of the topline?

Any specific exercises, supplements, nutrition strategies, or ideas for hardening their handle?

For isometrics used in hardening the top, how can you go about so they don't end up breaking at the loin?

Thank you all so much in advance!

;D  ;D  ;D
  • Kat

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Re: Hard Tops/Toplines
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 10:28:15 am »
You are correct that genetics is the MOST important component, not just for size of top but also hardness. This is the only thing that accounts for these massive tops you see on some of the high quality baby lambs.

With this said, the best I have seen for defining and firming the rack is tracking.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

CowboysKat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 07:10:48 pm »
Thank you so much for the reply!!!  ;D

I've been doing a lot of research on tracking; its fascinating how it correlates to rack firmness.

Out of curiosity, do you know of any resources, educational information, or trainers with information out about training the track dog?

Thank you so much! :)
  • Kat

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 06:44:23 pm »
Here is a thread when I asked about track dogs a while back. I am not an expert, so am just passing on the info that was shared with me. http://www.thelambpen.com/forum/index.php?topic=49.0

Also, Steve Sturtz has some pretty good videos on training and using track dogs. Here is a Google search for them. https://www.google.com/search?q=texas+show+lamb+tracking&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=sturtz+track+dogs&*
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Kgb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 11:43:51 am »
My two cents: (full disclosure as well I'm the nutritionist that formulated the Honor Show Chow and High Octane products).

Now, nutrition can help greatly.  But think about the lamb's top or any Show species for that matter.  The lamb's top is composed of the rack and loin.  Two large (hope they are large) run from the back of the shoulder to the hip or rump.  One on each side of the spine.  This is the LD or Longisimus dorsi muscle.  It is used for support not locomotion, and therefore difficult to target with exercise.  That's why this area of the carcass is the highest priced cuts.  And why judges put a premium on this area (at least ones that know what they are doing).

A dog track helps some, so does a reverse treadmill.  But nutrition can help even more.  We (Purina) have two products designed to help.  High Octane Champion Drive and High Octane Fitter 35.  Now, they help with muscle in other areas as well but you will see more difference in the top (volume of muscle and shape).  Champion Drive is fat cover neutral while Fitter 35 burns fat (a slow burn it won't crash your lambs.  Normal feeding rate is 8 oz per day for Champion Drive and 8 to 12 oz per day for Fitter 35.  They do work.
  • Kevin Burgoon

CowboysKat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 11:39:42 am »
Thank you EmsoffLambs!

I looked into those videos and they truly helped educate me a lot on that subject!

I appreciate your insight!  ;D

And thank you for the incredibly insightful answer Kgb!

I always look forward to your knowledge and 2 cents!

I love your scientific approach! I'm fascinated by nutrition and the science behind show stock!

I greatly appreciate your input!

Thank you so much!!!  ;D
  • Kat