Author Topic: Tiny Lamb with Cough and Bloat  (Read 2680 times)

Honey Tree

• View Profile
Tiny Lamb with Cough and Bloat
« on: March 29, 2017, 07:48:35 pm »
I have a tiny lamb that was born on March 17th to a huge twin.  I took her from her mother immediately as she was so small she couldn't reach the udder and mom wasn't paying attention to her.  I weighed her at 4 days and she weighed 4 lbs 6 oz.

Yesterday she overate (my fault as my eyes and my right hand were busy doing something else while my left hand held the bottle).  By late evening she was lethargic and slobbery mouth, grunty with a cough.  I gave her .3 or .4 cc of Nuflor SQ and baking soda for the bloat.  It didn't change the bloat much but she seemed a bit better by 4:30am. 

This evening she is acting almost normal and wanting more milk.  I've taken to giving her 2 oz every 3 or 4 hours because she is still bloating.  The cough has persisted.

Any thoughts on treatment?  Should I give Nuflor again, how soon and how much?  Any other medication?  She is so vigorous and incredibly sweet.  I don't want to lose this one.
  • Laura Overton

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Re: Tiny Lamb with Cough and Bloat
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 07:00:04 am »
Watery mouth is often E. coli. This can cause intestinal bloating as well. I would be inclined to give her a dose of Scour Halt just in case. A dose of banamine will help the cough too. Disclaimer: Both of these are prescription drugs in sheep, so technically you should consult a vet first.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 02:15:22 am »
Thursday afternoon I took her to the vet.  Her breathing had become a bit noisy.  Her temp was 102.  He said she has a little congestion in one lung but it was hard to clarify the sound because she is so small and her heartbeat was loud and fast.  He said the slobbery mouth is an indication of pain which she hasn't had since Tuesday evening.  He prescribed meloxicam for discomfort should she feel bad again.  I asked him about Banamine and he said it will suppress her immune system and make it difficult for her to fight off any potential infection. 

He also said to repeat the Nuflor on Saturday.

Crystal, I didn't see your response until after the vet appointment.  I just gave her Scour Halt.  Fortunately she hasn't had any issues with diarrhea just the ongoing bloat.  I also gave her probios.  Don't know if that will help at all but always worth a try.
  • Laura Overton

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 08:30:14 pm »
We lost her this morning.  Yesterday she was doing fantastically.  She coughed one time in the morning but didn't have any bloat.  She was bright and energetic and had a great appetite.  This morning she was having seizures.  I called the vet who was out on another emergency call and was told that she most likely had an electrolyte imbalance.  She died before the vet returned.  Very sad day for me  :'(

Thanks so much for the advice.  I really do appreciate it.
  • Laura Overton

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 11:25:31 am »
Too bad. :( You certainly did all you could. It's unfortunate that we can't save them all.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California