Author Topic: B12  (Read 3529 times)

KCsheep

• View Profile
    • Noble Ridge Club Lambs
B12
« on: April 10, 2017, 09:53:17 am »
I am trying to help a kid improve the appetite of her market lamb.  She has been attempting to feed at 3% body weight and the lamb does not finish it and is not gaining.  She is feeding Lamb Slam and adding a probiotic topdress.  Gives new fresh feed every feeding.  Our next move is to try using B12.  I have not used it in a long time and I forget what is recommended for how often to give?  We are using the injectable B12.  Also considering starting OG's drench to help get some calories in to it. 

Thanks!
  • Kate Crawford

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Re: B12
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 06:05:38 pm »
Are they feeding much hay?
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 08:54:08 pm »
Is the lamb alone or with another lamb?  They are competitive eaters and do much better when they think someone else might out eat them.  If the lamb is alone, you might consider giving him a buddy.
  • Laura Overton

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 06:53:06 am »
Every once in a while you get a lamb that just doesn't like to eat.  There are a bunch of different things that we've tried.  Some work on one lamb some work on others.  No one solution for all.

Vitamin B -Go to a horse supply store and look for vitamin B crumbles.  Just sprinkle a little on top each day. That's easier than the shot.

Remove the feed pan after 15 minutes no matter what the lamb has eaten and don't let them have any grain for at least 10 hours.  If feeding hay just give a handful.

We had one ewe lamb that didn't like the show feed mix but she loved the 37% protein pellets we fed are feedlot lambs.  She ate 90% those pellets.

Some lambs will eat shell corn and not show lamb feed.  Those lambs we'd top dress fitter 35 and champion drive on top of corn.

Running for about a minute 10 minutes before feeding can stimulate the appetite

Some lambs are social eaters and will eat fine with another lamb.  Some of these lambs we just gave up on and threw back into the feed lot.  3 weeks later they had gained 15-20 pounds.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

KCsheep

• View Profile
    • Noble Ridge Club Lambs
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 11:35:44 am »
The lamb has a buddy but fed separate and gets some (I don't know the amount) alfalfa at night after its had what it will eat of its grain.  Thank you for your input.  Don I will look for those crumbles and we may have to consider doing the corn with top dress if she won't pick up soon.  Thank you!     
  • Kate Crawford

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 09:39:04 pm »
While it may seem counterintuitive, we personally feed MORE hay, not less, to these slower eaters. I am of the opinion that very often the problem is chronic acidosis. Feeding additional hay helps to balance the rumen and will usually lead to an increased appetite within a few days to a couple weeks. Even alfalfa may be too rich. Grass hay may be more effective. B12 crumbles certainly won't hurt, but a healthy rumen is still essential.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California