Author Topic: Suggestions on lambs - show one month away  (Read 3666 times)

Symonomonymonom

• View Profile
Suggestions on lambs - show one month away
« on: July 02, 2015, 03:17:44 pm »
I was just looking for some evaluations/comments on my wether and ewe lambs.
Wether:
Ewe:
We have a show in about 32 days. Also, I was looking for some recommendations on clippers. I currently use Oster clipmasters with the standard 31 tooth clipper blades to shear but I feel that I might want them clipped shorter for the show. I'm also looking for a smaller pair which I can use to clip their faces and some goats that I'll be showing. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 03:38:26 pm by Symonomonymonom »
  • Rachel

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions on lambs - show one month away
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 03:48:14 pm »
Work on keeping their necks up at a 90 degree angle to their backs. This will improve the appearance of their profiles and help them to brace more effectively.

For the clippers, I really am not a fan of the Osters. They are too big and hot and heavy. I personally like the Premiers, but for younger showman, Lister Stars are probably the best. They use standard size blades but are small enough that you can use them on the faces too. Surgical blades for the body and fines for the head.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Symonomonymonom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 03:59:45 pm »
I'll work on that. I was mainly just trying to get a quick picture of them that I could use.  :)

The Osters have been decent for me. They are hot after a while and they are fairly heavy, but I got used to that pretty quickly. For the amount of animals we've been using them on (about 10) they do well. I thought to use surgical, but it says they cut to 0.2 mm... That's not too short? I'll take a look at the Listers. Thanks!
  • Rachel

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 04:13:37 pm »
Surgicals on black face lambs and fines on white face (pink skin) is what I've always heard. And then the fines on the faces.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Bigiron59

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 06:23:59 pm »
The oster clipmaster with surgical blades was the tool of choice for the late Ritzen Urban. Was a wizard with them.  I like my stars. Blades dependent on skin an finish on lambs.
  • Shane Kirschten