Author Topic: feeding a show ewe lamb  (Read 3892 times)

bpool8790

• View Profile
feeding a show ewe lamb
« on: November 03, 2015, 08:14:44 am »
Im fairly new to feeding show lambs, im a hog guy myself but my trouble seems to be that this girl has a belly,  she was getting 3.5 lbs a day,  brought her down to 2.5-3,  she gets a handful of grass mix, i recently switched to alfalfa which seemed to help some.  She lacks in muacle to me she is a march born and we were shooting for a march show but may hit denver instead.  Started some champion drive for muscle.  Im looking for basic advice on ridding the belly and maybe an opinion or two.. i can email pictures if anyone cares to critique this girl..
  • Brad Pool

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
Re: feeding a show ewe lamb
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 08:58:01 am »
 A picture would be helpful to see exactly what you would consider a belly. Sheep these days do have more capacity than they did ten years ago and depth in the rear flank is considered a good thing. Also, ewe lambs will tend to get "broodier" as they mature and will loose that hard, youthful look at an earlier age than wethers.

How much does she weigh?
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

tsylvester

• View Profile
    • Sylvester Livestock
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 09:39:24 am »
As mentioned pictures are helpful....if it is a gassy/bloaty type of belly we give them free choice baking soda.  This helps the ones that seem to carry a liquid/gas type of belly.
  • TJ Sylvester
Breeder of Southdowns & Hampshires

EmsoffLambs

• Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 06:43:15 am »
Here are pictures of the lamb.

• Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

tsylvester

• View Profile
    • Sylvester Livestock
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 08:43:57 am »
Ya based on pic # 3, if it were ours I'd give it access to baking soda.  It's one of those things that doesn't hurt to try and seems to do the trick most times.
  • TJ Sylvester
Breeder of Southdowns & Hampshires

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 05:32:37 am »
I'd be more concerned about the volume of muscle than the size of the belly.  The belly also looks bigger because she has a little wool on and she just doesn't have the thickness of the top end lambs today.  Take your pictures and put them side to side with some pictures of lambs in the OnLineSheepShow.com, ewe lamb classes 5-11 months.  As a March ewe, she's in that age group.

- She's lean, probably will show as one of the leanest lambs in the class if you showed her today. Fat makes "white muscle".  Lot's of judges are impressed by the thickness of fat lambs, particularly if the fat is a hard fat that  you get from show feeds and not just corn.

- IMO she's finer boned than most current top end show lambs.  She doesn't have the shag that makes that bigger boned illusion.  You can fit the legs like a steer, (card the hair out, spray to get it to stay), that helps a lot

- Isometric exercises and windsprints build short muscles which are what win shows these days (think sprinter).  Long flat muscles are what long distance runners have.  Which does she remind you more of? 

- IMO, the reverse feeding program, (more feed, more fat, with muscle building supplement such as champion drive) and a every 2nd or 3rd day intense muscle building exercise program will help make the lamb more competitive.

- Longer running can help with weight control, lambs can be held a long time if weighed weekly and their feed and exercise program tweaked.

- Belly size can be influenced on show day a lot with feed quantity and helping the lambs belch. 

- She's not looking very "broody" to me yet.  Problem with showing ewe lambs at ages older than somewhere around 8 months is they start looking like brood ewes.  Wethers don't do that.   

- All that said, it's been a while since I saw a lamb with good muscling, correct structure, good bone that was shown well lose to a lamb lacking any of those items that had a smaller belly.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.

bpool8790

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 06:15:01 am »
Hey Don thanks for the input and advice,   ive fed alot of showpigs and i do remember my first one as a learning process many years ago.  This is a learning process,  we will push her forward and see where we can get her,  i do know as with any species theres things feed cant help.  I will pour the feed to her and get her exercising, we will see what happens..  thanjs again
  • Brad Pool

Don Drewry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 07:07:55 am »
We raised our own lambs to show and bought a few pigs to show.  Our pig friends didn't always agree with this but we always thought the feeding pigs was a breeze compared to feeding lambs.  We'd fine tune the lambs feeding program and exercise program way more than we would tune the pigs program.  Good luck.
  • Don Drewry
Raising Hampshire club lambs and terminal sire breeding stock with EBVs.