Author Topic: Drenching show lambs  (Read 4412 times)

pozo

• View Profile
Drenching show lambs
« on: January 27, 2016, 05:02:21 am »
When ddenching, do you restrict water?

Do people still restrict water to make a lamb feel firmer to the touch?

Thanks. Nephews getting mixed feelings from ag teacher.
  • Holli Pozo

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
Re: Drenching show lambs
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 10:42:51 am »
IMO, you make the decision on a case by case basis. First, judges accept more "fill" than they did a few years ago. They are no longer looking for that tight gutted look. Second, some shows require that lambs have water available at all times, and some prohibit drenching. Also, some lambs refuse to drink strange/city water. So these are all things to consider.

Aside from this, you have to look at the individual lamb. If the lamb tanks up on water after eating and gets a big belly, then limiting his consumption may be helpful. If he bellies up after eating then a drench can give him energy if need to cut back his feed at a show.

Myself (and I am not as experienced at the show aspect as some others, so anyone is welcome to disagree), I start adding electrolytes to the lambs' water about four or five days before the show so they get used to it. Then I continue at the show, so the electrolytes hide the taste of the different water and to keep them hydrated. Then the morning of the show I may restrict water and drench if they need it based on appearance.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

GarrettandCole

• View Profile
Re: Drenching show lambs
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 01:02:52 pm »
Our personal experience is if we are drenching, it's because they have their water restricted.  Usually at a show.  We do drench with a egg based drench  a week before shows just because feed is being cut back on some lambs at this time.  If giving egg drench at home, their water is still available.  I would say it's on an individual lamb basis. 
  • Daylene Knight