Author Topic: Watermelon for Sheep  (Read 9239 times)

Honey Tree

• View Profile
Watermelon for Sheep
« on: August 16, 2015, 02:41:32 pm »
Does anyone know if sheep like watermelon?  If they do, is there any nutritional value in it?  A friend just offered me as many watermelons as I want.  They lease out their land and watermelons are grown on it.  The seedless melons need the seeded variety to cross pollinate.  They have no use for the seeded variety and are left to rot in the field.
  • Laura Overton

Betania

• View Profile
Re: Watermelon for Sheep
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 11:15:18 am »
Well, they like the rinds, anyhow. I can't imagine it does much for them nutritionally, but they like it. :-)
  • Bethany Winsley

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 02:28:33 pm »
I was thinking the same thing. Might have a few vitamins and I cannot imagine it would hurt them. It's over 90% water, so if you do feed it, I wouldn't consider it feed replacement, just a tasty treat.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 07:17:39 pm »
It's been such a long time since I've eaten a watermelon with seeds that I had to ask my friends if the seeded variety had more flavor than the seedless.  It just seemed that seedless melons weren't as sweet.  They confirmed it. 

Gonna be hanging out with the sheep and eating a lot of watermelon!  Lookin' forward to a seed spitting good time! 
  • Laura Overton

sheepherder007

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 09:30:39 am »
Going to have to admit, bought ONE seedless watermelon and will not repeat that mistake.  Too many days of enjoying Black Diamonds to eat that junk. 
  • Rex Cole

Chuckles450

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 09:03:55 pm »
Agreed Rex seedless watermelons are JUNK.
  • Charley Austin

ewemama

• Where quality and kids count!
    • View Profile
    • Spring Creek Ranch Club Lambs
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 01:37:42 pm »
I guess it just depends on personal preference.  I wouldn't eat a watermelon with seeds now for nothing.  I actually enjoy my watermelon now without dodging those darn seeds!  :)  My sheep love to eat them but they are just a treat - not much nutritional value...if any.
  • Diana Stornetta