Author Topic: Melatonin  (Read 4326 times)

MeMa1

• View Profile
Melatonin
« on: September 24, 2017, 05:41:45 pm »
Hello Crystal,
I've seen a previous post you posted regarding Melatonin.  My daughter has a "crazy" lamb that she will be showing soon.  She has worked this lamb daily and will continue to right up to the show.  I wanted to have a backup plan in case the lamb doesn't improve in the next few weeks.  I need some more information regarding the Melatonin?  Do you use the over the counter Melatonin that people use?  The pill form?   If so, there is several different milligrams?  Which do I buy and if it is based on their weight, how do I determine how much to give? Will the lamb just swallow it?  And how soon prior to the show do you give it?  Also, the lambs may be drug tested, will this pass?  Sorry for so many questions?
Thanks for your help.
  • Sue

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
Re: Melatonin
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 07:37:04 pm »
Hi Sue. I have only used it once so I don't know that I am an expert, but it did really help with the one lamb. Just over the counter, we have like 6 mg. It was recommended to us to try at home first as some lambs react differently than others. Give about an hour before the show. The pills are small. I just put in a handful of grain. I was told it would not test as it is a natural hormone.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California