Author Topic: Show shakes  (Read 4929 times)

MeMa1

• View Profile
Show shakes
« on: September 24, 2017, 05:50:19 pm »
Our show is fast approaching and I wanted to get some advise about Show shakes.  I bought some in the past and drenched our lambs at shows.  However, our show that is coming up soon does not allow drenching?  Any advice on what to do? Can you just sprinkle it over their feed and if so, does it work as well?  Does anyone else have any suggestions on something else to use?  Please help.

• Sue

ColdCreek

• View Profile
Re: Show shakes
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 05:01:39 am »
Those of us that can no longer drench have switched to wet feeding a long time ago.  If you have time (don't know how soon your show is), start converting your lambs to being fed with wet feed. Then when it is time to start adding your shake, they will already be accustomed to the wet feed and you can get them to take the shake without using a bottle or drench gun.
  • Ken Parrott

MeMa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 11:29:36 am »
Our show is coming up in two weeks.  Would I have time to switch them over?  And how do you go about that process? I don't won't them to come off feed.
  • Sue

ColdCreek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 04:50:36 pm »
Each lamb is different but often they will balk for a few feedings.  Two weeks is definitely not ideal nor does it give you much time to introduce it gradually.
  • Ken Parrott

Honey Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 05:23:14 pm »
We put a lamb on OG's Egg Drench one week before the fair.  He loved it and slurped it up from his feed after only using it as a drench once.  This lamb just wasn't putting on weight or finish.  He gained over a 10 pounds in one week and looked great!  The recipe is available on this site.
  • Laura Overton