Author Topic: Recurring Choke  (Read 3522 times)

Honey Tree

• View Profile
Recurring Choke
« on: October 28, 2018, 01:41:29 am »
I have been having choke issues with several of my ewes.  I didn't have a problem when I was feeding alfalfa cubes but now that I'm feeding alfalfa hay choke seems to be a recurring issue.  The one that seems to have the most trouble never bloats up so I know she's not blocked.  You just hear a lot of hard swallowing.  The last feeding went untouched.  Has anyone else had this type of experience?  If so, did you find a way to resolve it?
  • Laura Overton

EmsoffLambs

• Emsoff Livestock Company
  • Administrator
  • Crystal Emsoff
    • View Profile
    • Emsoff Livestock Company
Re: Recurring Choke
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 11:37:41 am »
I have had some choke issues in my sheep in recent years. It almost always is with grain though, not hay. There DOES seem to be some genetic component that I have noticed. One ewe, plus her daughter and granddaughter will all do it. I am not sure if it is a defect in the structure of their throat or if they are all just gluttonous hogs that eat too fast. I have have had a couple sheep over the years that would do it repeatedly on hay and then quit. I suspect in those cases it was caused by an injury to the throat. Maybe from swallowing something too big or sharp? Pipestone has suggested that the puking/cud spilling that can accompany choke may be a vagus nerve issue. I wish I had more answers for you! If they are bolting grain, you can slow them down by wet feeding, but ewes that choke on hay are harder to manage.
  • Crystal Emsoff
Breeder of quality club lambs in Northern California

Honey Tree

• View Profile
Re: Recurring Choke
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 03:57:27 pm »
I haven't had a problem for the last couple of weeks.  She isn't getting any grain and doesn't seem to bolt her hay.  Of course now that I've commented on her status she'll choke tonight!

I've heard the vagus nerve is a problem with sheep that have pneumonia.  Does the nerve recover after the pneumonia is gone? 
  • Laura Overton